Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Cannonball Read

I read...a lot. I read quickly and I read pretty much everything. Since Harry Potter's somewhat universal at this point (in that people are familiar with not just the stories, but also with the look of the books, the style of writing, etc.), I can use the series as a reference point here. I sat down with Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows at 11:15am the day it arrived, and finished it at 5:40pm the same day. It is 759 pages long. Fast.

On top of the basic aptitude, I also just like gathering stories. I love just knowing things, and books are of course a direct route to all kinds of knowledge. Academic books, novels, histories, pseudo-non-fiction, long books, short books...you name it, I start itching just thinking about them. As a result, a Cannonball Read has been taunting me from just out of reach since the idea was floated on Pajiba a week or so ago. The plan is to read 100 books in a year, and there are some rules:

There are rules. No books smaller than 200 pages. Short story collections only count if they are at least 6 stories long. No graphic novels...We will cross-post our reviews here and on our own blogs when we see fit. They aren’t going to be full-on reviews necessarily, more or less our own personal feelings about the book. Insults and slander are welcome and accepted.
Obviously there are some adjustments, since I have no one to crosspost with, but I will post reviews and reactions here. Insults and slander are still welcome and accepted. If you have suggestions, please email me! While my Amazon list is long and various, I have come to terms with the fact that it will exist in this state until I am old and grey (NB: is that not the best thing ever? There will always be wonderful books to read.), so I'm open to anything I Simply Must Read.

I look forward to the challenge, recognize my extreme lack of common sense considering I will be in school throughout, and am so stoked I can hardly deal.

1 comment:

  1. I have about 500 books for you to read. I will email.

    ReplyDelete