Thursday, April 24, 2008

And On A Less Hatey Note...

Here are my top three hoped for airborne vacations for this summer. Needless to say, the non-aviation-related list stretches for miles, but this is a good place to start for (hopeful) imminent travel.
  1. The Red Bull Air Race in Detroit, MI, May 31-June 1. Actually, this is a lie, since what I REALLY want to do is go to the Air Race in Abu Dhabi but Detroit will have to suffice. (After all, it IS the city of Gordie Howe and the Production Line, plus, you know, cars.) My favorite parts of air shows are invariably the parts where really freaking excellent pilots zoom around in a manner that seems guaranteed to make parts fly off their airplanes, and the Air Race is basically nothing but. Sign me up! (NB - this will have to tide me over until my friends and I can get our act together for the Red Bull Flugtag. Somehow I feel like I could die happy after careening to a smashy dousing in a contraption of my own making.)
  2. The EAA AirVenture in Oshkosh "Put It Down On the Orange Dot," WI, July 28-August 3. I've wanted to go to Oshkosh for...oh I don't know, probably a good 8 years now? Longer? I learned about this a while back and basically, for a week or so, Oshkosh, WI, decides to pack as many awesome aircraft into one airport as possible. People camp out under their planes, bring all their weird shit...it's like one giant orgy of hopped up aviation enthusiasm, plus lots of zooming.
  3. Cirrus Migration 6, July 10-13. A while back, Dad got a Cirrus, which is an awesome airplane that has a whole-plane parachute. He now runs an air taxi service, Skyline, which everyone should run out and book with IMMEDIATELY because it is awesome, plus you get to fly with my Dad, who is extra awesome. Cirrus is a great company, and they have an annual event where a huge number of Cirrus owners/fans migrate back to Cirrus' Duluth, MN headquarters to fly around and have educational fun. Cirrus is coming out with their first jet in the near future, so this year's Migration should be particularly cool.

That's right, I totally DID say that I wanted to go to Detroit, Oshkosh, WI and Duluth, MN for my summer vacation, you got a problem with that?

No comments:

Post a Comment