Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Today's Point Missing Competition Winner in the How Security Works Division

See "rong, doin' it."
Iran's chief of police has criticized the domestic media's "extensive coverage" of a recent spate of alleged rapes in the country, saying it would cause "a sense of insecurity in society," RFE/RL's Radio Farda reports.

Yeah.  I don't want to tell you how to run your clearly awesome and totally efficient police force or anything, dude, but you know what causes insecurity in society?  People actually getting raped. 

While I give Mr. Moghadam credit for novelty, this is an extension of an ongoing bunch of bullshit that women get thrown all the time.  Technically he's right - hearing about rape does make people feel insecure and that's a pretty reasonable reaction.  However, the reason it's appropriate is because it's a violent act that often goes unprosecuted and is frequently turned around to incriminate the victim.  I can't think of any crime I fear becoming the victim of more, because I know that after being violated and injured, there's more than an outside chance that I will then have to put up with the bullshit and shaming of having people ask about what I was doing and wearing and blah blah blah in the end it all just comes down to "are you sure you didn't just really want to get fucked, whore?"  That is what makes rape so much more problematic than other crimes.  No one would ask me what I was wearing if I got mugged.  No one would ask me why I had my property with me in the alley if I got robbed.  And that's how it should be, because no matter what I'm wearing or doing or where I am, none of it makes it okay for someone to rape me.   Pretending otherwise serves no one except rapists.  It promotes the idea that men are just powerless idiots who think with their dicks, which is not fair to men, by and large.  It also presumes that rape is about sex, which it isn't - it is about power and control, full stop.  It continues to argue that women are sex objects, pure and simple, and have no autonomy beyond that; all that matters is their appearance. 

I think I get what the police chief means, but it's statements like this that causes a sense of insecurity in a society - it sounds like the police chief, the man ultimately in charge of handling prosecution of your rape case, thinks you should just hush up about your rape so it doesn't make society feel insecure...and the reality is that by "society" we actually mean "men," because I guaran-fucking-tee that feeling insecure about rape is in the back of every woman's mind, 24/7, 365.  It's there because it has to be, because of attitudes like this.

No comments:

Post a Comment