Friday, January 30, 2009

Useful Information for Your Life as a Telephone User

Okay, I cannot even begin to believe I am having to discuss this, but since it has been happening non-stop, I'm wondering if this is yet another thing I incorrectly assume that people know to do.

When you receive a voicemail, listen to the name of the caller.

I know, radical shit. You should pair this with the also-useful concept of remembering who the hell your job interview was with. Most people probably have this on lockdown already, but we're doing a lot of hiring here right now, and if one more person calls in and leads off with "hi, someone...called me?" I am going to hang up on them, then run out of the building screaming. Does it not occur to people that perhaps - JUST MAYBE - more than one male and one female work here? Does this method actually get these people connected at other places? I just went about five rounds with some dude about this.

*ring ring*
Josie: This is Josie, how can I help you?
Caller: Yeah, hi, this is So and So, someone called me from your company and I don't have the name.
J: Okay, do you know why they would have called you?
C: Yes, I applied for a job, so I think they were calling about that.
J: All right, well, I'll start you with Betsy in HR, and she should be able to get you going in the right direction.
C: Okay, thank you.

Two minutes pass.

*ring ring*
Josie: This is Josie, how can I help you?
Caller: Hi, this is So and So again...the person you connected me with was not there, I got her voicemail, and someone called me from your company and I don't have the name because it was in a rush...it was a man voice.
J: Hmm, okay. [There are no men in the HR department.] Well, what position did you apply for?
C: *mumble mumble mumble blah blah* IT department.
J: Great, I'll try Bob for you, he's the manager of the department.
C: Okay, thanks.

Two minutes pass.

*ring ring*
Josie: This is Josie, how can I help you?
Caller: Hi, this is So and So...someone called me from your company and I don't have the name because it was in a rush...it was a man voice. You connected me to Bob and he was not there and can you look up who called me because they are waiting for me to call and it's very important...
J: Okay, but you didn't get the name from their message?
C: Well it all happened very fast and I don't know, it was a man voice.
J: Do you remember who you interviewed with or applied with?
C: No, it was a man...
J: Okay, I'll transfer you.

At this point, I transfer him to the first male I see on the IT listing and hope for the best. He hasn't called back yet, so hopefully he's off pestering the correct person, but holy CRAP, what the hell? It's apparently life-or-fucking-death, but you can't be bothered to remember who you interviewed with or listen to the voicemail again to get the right name? Does EVERY business you call employ receptionists with ESP so they can just Oujia Board up your intended target?

So just remember, kids, when calling somewhere, be able to make a passing attempt at telling the receptionist who the fuck you want to talk to.

1 comment:

  1. If only your firm employed a competent receptionist...

    ReplyDelete