Saturday, November 24, 2007

Project Runway Premiere

One of the many reasons that I love The Lucy is that she is as insane about Project Runway as I am. It's not that we're not in good company or anything, but we're insane about it in more or less the same way. So, during the season, we compose these ginormous and probably overly analytical emails to discuss the designers, the dresses, and whatever else comes to mind. So, I've decided to put them up here for debate and consideration. The Lucy's comments in blue, mine in black, winner's name in purple and loser's name in red. Enjoy!

The Challenge: Design a dress that shows who you are as a designer using a variety of drool-worthy fabrics from Mood that you must wrestle away from your opponents. It's the nice, get-things-going gimme challenge.

Ricky...The lace on this neckline made me so crazy. I really liked this dress but for that one detail. However, I don't know how amazing it was designwise...it was pretty but not revolutionary. I have a love/hate thing going on with this dress. It's very well made and I kind of like the pretty black and silver fabric as well. But, it's super boring, and the lace is troublesome. It's pretty but...ugh. So hard to explain. It looks like ass in the picture though.
Simone...I hated that yellow with the pink/peach and cream. The shrug...I don't even know. Boring shoes. Once Nina said the magic "construction" word, I knew she was going down, and Nina was right, too...crappy construction. This is probably the worst thing I've ever seen. It's so fucking ugly, plus it doesn't even make sense. What is that jacket? Oh my God...when I saw this look I was just dumbfounded at how terrible it is. I don't understand how you can design anything and think this is all right!
Steven...I loved this on the runway and thought it had a very Dior look to it, but in the pic I am not in love with it. Not sure which is most accurate - the TV or the picture. But the cut is excellent, and the bouffy little bustle in the back was a cool detail, so I liked it...I would have liked to see it in another color to really elevate it above something fairly basic. When I saw this on the runway, I loved it too. I still like it. The bustle was adorable and it's just pretty and ladylike which I really like.
Sweet P...hate the straps, don't like the way it narrows at the hem, didn't have good movement. No thanks. Yes, Sweet P., every woman wants to look like a barrel. I kind of like the color though.
Victorya...I hate when people wear their bra straps falling down, so this dress was dead to me from inception. Ok, I have no idea how this was in the top three. It's as ugly as hell and it's pretty boring. A black dress with a big flower on it. Wow.

Kevin...I can't even explain my boredom with this. First of all the shoes don't match. Second of all, the silhouette doesn't do much for me, and I don't like the brocade-y bustier aspect...but I also don't know what to do with it. MAYBE make it that red, but that would bore me to actual DEATH so I don't know. Not bad, not good, just boring. What's pathetic about this is that I don't even remember seeing it on the show. Not memorable at all.
Kit...okay first of all how cool are those shoes??? That being said, again I say no thank you sir. Those prints are not okay together, and while I am not anti-one-sleeve, this is poorly executed. Weird proporion, and I feel like the design makes the black and grey print look very juniors department. I didn't like this one either. I does look very juniors, doesn't it? I also think the one boob thing is pretty ugly. I don't like that shit at all. The shoes are very cool though.
Marion...Santino gone horribly horribly wrong. No thank you. That is all. *vomits* (<-- Why I love The Lucy.)Rami...oy, those shoes, but the draping was really spectacular. Rich predicts that this is what we'll see from Rami until he gets booted, but I dunno. I wish it had been in a more vibrant color! The draping is great but once again the one boob thing is terrible. Also, in the back it was a nightmare because it looked as though she had a big, lopsided ass. I think it's pretty, but really, it's pretty safe. I hate how they want to see different stuff yet reward designers when they do a safe piece. Ugh.
Carmen...something in me likes this top...a different sleeve maybe, and a cooler orange on the little ruffly frill whosie. The pants, I am not ready to sign on for personally but I think they work with the outfit overall. I'm sorry, but this is way to Aladdin for me. Costumey, indeed. I just don't like this at all. The sleeves are all fucked up and it looks silly. Who's wearing this? I like her hair though.
Chris...The only thing I like about this is the bow at the back...the rest is pretty but mundane. I like the fabric on the bodice though, and the bow as high fashion I feel is not going to cut it....just because I like a well placed pouffy bow doesn't make it high fashion or innovative. I really like this one. It's very dramatic and elegant, and I love the color. The print is pretty too. I sort of wonder if he held back because of the whole costume background. I kind of get that sense. I am loving him so far though. I think he has a lot of potential to go far.
Christian with the crazy hair...for some reason, I hate this far less in picture form than I did on the show. I actually like it all right here, although if that skirt is actually asymmetrical like it looks, I like it far less. The biggest issue for me is the weird fun-fur aspect of the black stuff on it. I don't get it and I don't like it. It's too bad they didn't show the back of this, though, because that was masterfully made. Looking at it now, I have to agree with you. I do like it in the picture, although when it was on the runway I could not stop focusing on the sleeves. They were really distracting. One was poofier than the other and the pattern was all fucked up. Not good. I do agree that the fur kind of cheapens this because this is actually a really classy look. I lurve her hair too. So pretty!
Elisa...I actually thought the way that it only had one seam was very cool, because the part that wasn't fucked up by that train was fairly pretty...I think it would be fly with a short skirt and NEVER BEING NEAR THOSE BOOTS. Hesus Christo, did they ship that shit right in from the 80s or what?!? Once again, a troublesome piece. While I love the color and the one seam thing, that train was fucking ridiculous. And those boots...oh my word. Terrible. It's too much. And that woman is batshit fucking crazy.
Jack the vaguely creepy plastic looking man...this I loved. I think the picture really doesn't do justice to how vibrant and pretty the blue on it was. I am a sucker for black and white print. [Speed] said he thought this guy would go far, and says he is his favorite so far. I kind of agree but a.) I don't want to get caught in a KEITH situation and b.) I am not quiiiite ready to declare a fave one ep in (I don't think [Speed] is 100% declared, but he feels strongly about it). Now see, I like this but I think it's awfully boring. It's really well made and cute, but predictable. I see stuff like this in Macy's all the time, so while I agree that he has the potential to go very far, I also think he has the potential to be very boring.


Jillian...Also, you forgot Jill's dress! I thought it was pretty with the big poofy skirt, but I wasn't really into the loud red color. It seemed like too much to me, but she really has good construction skills, even if she looks like a huge bitch. I did, and that was dumb, because I thought it was a great dress! I actually liked the red and the pouffy, very dramatic.

No comments:

Post a Comment