Sunday, October 14, 2007

Yet Another Reason To Hate Home Depot Extra Super Hard

...and by "another," I mean "besides your scary megalomaniacal tendencies and often crappy prices."

Home Depot thought REAL hard and came to the conclusion that what we need is...home improvement stores JUST FOR THE LADIES! No, regrettably, I am not kidding.

Seriously? Fuck you, Home Depot. I am doing just fine without your pandering, misogynistic worldview. For your viewing pleasure, here's a list of things I can do all by my estrogen-infested self without your fucking help.

Prep walls and paint them.
Build said walls.
Install lighting fixtures.
Yes, including chandeliers.
Install panes of glass.
Build and/or install shelving.
Fix basic plumbing items, i.e. running toilets, problematic sinks.
Handle basic home wiring projects.
Operate an industrial surfacer.
Operate an industrial jigsaw.
Operate an industrial bandsaw.
Operate an industrial table saw.
Operate a chainsaw.
Operate an industrial lathe.
Operate an industrial drill press.
Use a variety of sanders.

Use a variety of home tools including drills and electric screwdrivers.
Find a stud, and know why that's important.
Speak more intelligently than probably 90% of Home Depot's employees about home heating solutions, hot water makers, windows, thermostats and insulation.
Hammer shit.
Plan and build things.
Change the oil in my car.
Change a tire.
Refill the windshield washer fluid.
Change the wiper blades.
Diagnose most problems with my car.
Change lightbulbs in my car.

There are plenty more, but I figured that all y'all at Home Depot would find those the most shocking. Just in case you missed the point, here it is, in nice small words so you understand:

MY TITS DON'T MEAN I NEED A SPECIAL HOME DEPOT.

Ugh, GOD. It's crap like this that makes me despair of ever attaining even the slightest measure of gender equity. And this is the most insidious kind of gender bias...the kind that's rooted in good intentions. Home Depot is clearly trying to fill the needs of a certain kind of person, but missed the mark by a mile by implicating an entire gender in their decision.

1 comment:

  1. "MY TITS DON'T MEAN I NEED A SPECIAL HOME DEPOT."

    I'm seriously laughing so hard I could vomit.

    Or maybe I just want to vomit because as a female, I'm pretty fucking sure I can handle shopping for a washing machine in a man's world.

    ReplyDelete