Saturday, June 7, 2008

The Books of Late, Plus Perfume

Remember that whole reading list where I was like "here is my neatly organized life and my books that I shall read while sipping fabulous fruity drinks and being absurdly awesome"? Totally derailed, because I am dumb and went to the Harvard Coop unsupervised.

Thus I have not touched a single lovely page of Shakespeare but instead have finished two books, only one of which was on the list (finishing Anna Karenina). The second was a book bought on a whim as a result of my suceptibility to bookcover design, called Dear American Airlines by Jonathan Miles. The book begins as a complaint letter and request for a refund addressed angrily to American Airlines. The author of this letter is delayed in O'Hare, teetering on the edge of missing his daughter's wedding, and is understandably upset. As he writes, however, he tells the airline more and more about his life and how he arrived at this point. The whole thing is really well done...not too much gimmicky nodding to the conceit that it's an actual letter, smooth writing, interesting story. Highly recommend...good for a quick beach read or any travel you have coming up (maybe not so much a flight, though).

Also on the recommendation list, this one for summer perfumes, is Emporio Armani Diamonds. I'll admit that I assumed it would be kind of cloying and thick, but was pleasantly surprised to discover a light scent that was perfect for a nice sunny day. I was just very concerned about the Beyonce Factor. While I love Beyonce and all her shiny wonderfulness, I have this theory (prejudice?) that the closer a hip hop star gets to a perfume, the more clunky and ill-advised that perfume will be. Then again, I've discussed my bizarre affinity for every perfume J. Lo has ever slapped her shorthanded moniker on...I don't know. In any case, Diamonds would be a fantastic summer perfume, thumbs up from me.

No comments:

Post a Comment