Thursday, December 27, 2007

A Great Light Has Gone Out

Douglas E. Curran/Agence France-Presse - Getty Images

Today former Pakistani Prime Minister Benazir Bhutto was assassinated during a rally in Rawalpindi, Islamabad. The assassin shot at her several times before blowing himself up.

I saw Bhutto speak at American University when I was there, and she showed that there might someday be change in Pakistan. She was amazingly inspiring not only as a torch-bearer for diplomacy and peace, but as a woman in political life. Remarkably, one of my co-workers went to AU and saw the same speech, and we agreed that she truly gave you hope that things could get better, and things could change. She was a powerful force for good.

It's hard to say where Pakistan will go from here. I worry very much about the fallout from this and the effect on the upcoming "elections." It's time for America to start seeing the world with new eyes and telescopes, observing ALL the world and standing up for those oppressed by human rights violations, and facilitating DIPLOMATIC DISCUSSION where none exists.
A great light has gone out.

2 comments:

  1. I would tend to agree (with oz).

    I found Bhutto quite inspiring, as you did, and I'm very concerned about Pakistan's future now that she's gone. What a sad day.

    ReplyDelete