Thursday, May 26, 2011

My New Book is Coming Out in July and EVERYONE ALREADY LOVES IT.

You may know - I hope you know - that this past summer, I founded a small press, called Pink Narcissus Press, with my friends Rose and Bill, and in February we published our first book, an anthology of elf stories called Elf Love.  It was a great little book, and we have our second book coming out in July, which is a collection of short stories that continue or explore traditional fairy tales.  I just finished doing a final proof and that process reminded me anew that it is a damn good book.  Now, it's one thing for me to say that, but this time I have big league backup: both Publishers' Weekly and Independent Publisher have taken note of our book and given it great reviews.  Because this is my turf and I can do what I want, this is what they said:

From Publisher's Weekly:
Rapunzel's Daughter and Other Tales
Thirty-one stories of disparate quality and tone put a new spin on old tales. James S. Dorr's "The Glass Shoe" is a lighthearted political parody of Cinderella; Michael Takeda's "The Wolf in Standard Ration Clothing" is even darker than the original Red Riding Hood. Amy E. Yergen's brilliant title story, a meditation on family and matrilineal legacies, easily brings Rapunzel into the modern world, while David Turnbull's folksy "The Blood Cakes"; Duncan Eagleson's Viking Snow White retelling, "Snovhit"; and Michelle Markey Butler's Arthurian intrigue, "Sovereynte," have an authentically ancient feel. Line drawings by Ciaran Gaffney and Jade Liebes enhance each story, and introductions offer insight into the writers' lives and inspirations. The wide variety means many transitions are jarring, but any fairy tale fan will find something to enjoy in this collection. (July)
Independent Publisher named Rapunzel a Highlighted Title for "exhibiting superior levels of creativity, originality, and high standards of design and production quality."  EVERYONE LOVES OUR BOOK AND IT'S NOT EVEN OUT UNTIL JULY.


I hope you will swing over to our Facebook Page and like us - I personally crave validation, what can I say? - and watch our website for ordering info and calls for publication!  (PS - the "Chronicles of Silence" series on our website is a fun read and features one of my favorite characters I've ever written...check it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment