Monday, August 7, 2006

I Want You On My Team/So Does Everybody Else

I.

Am.

The ADMINISTRAAAAAYTOOOOORRRRR!

I am the only person in the department until the 16th, which is a mixed blessing. On the one hand, I am doing everything...phones, paperwork, calling people, etc. On the other, the Insta-Panic mode that Podnah brings to the department is blessedly missing, which is a huge relief. You can see where the Insta-Panic evolved from - she's had a bunch of jobs where it was either a really cutthroat atmosphere or her bosses treated her like dirt, so she's constantly afraid of being...fired, I guess. She KNOWS her shit, but she's not confident enough in the ability to make independent decisions, so it becomes this period of anywhere from 5 minutes to a full day of agonizing over whether or not something is the right decision. And then she does the thing I HATE, which is to ask me what she should do, and then obviously not pay attention and say she's going to do something else. You know what? If you aren't going to LISTEN? Don't ask! Just. Don't. Ask. I'm not one of those people who can't deal with it if you don't do what they suggest when you ask advice. But if you're taking the time from my day for me to think about it and then respond to you, then at least have the courtesy to liiiiiiisssssten. Criminy.

So, Uncle Alligator passed away yesterday. He was another one of those relatives - I had this issue with my grandfather on Dad's side - who was terrifying until you were about 12 or so, at which point you were old enough to appreciate the humor and you were big enough to not be intimidated by their size. Grandad was just tall and spindly, same way Dad is built, but Uncle Alligator was built like the the metaphorical brick shithouse, with a big booming voice and a deep barrel laugh. He was so funny, and just a loving, thoughtful person. It's really sad to see him go, but there were two silverish linings - first, he'd been sick and the family had had some time to prepare, and second, Aunt Alligator's two daughters were down there with them when he passed. Hopefully I will make it to the funeral, but all I've heard is Friday, in which case I would not be able to make it. Fingers crossed. Spiritus sancti.

No comments:

Post a Comment